Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Nationalism and the Creation of Italy


Nationalism is basically showing that you belong to your country and showing that you have loyalty to your country by showing your support in different ways. I am nationalistic because I celebrate the 4th of July, which is Independence Day for the U.S. I also use my country's currency, which is the dollar, and I also support the troops that fight for my country. If my country would go against another country in the Olympics, for example, I would most likely root for my country.


Nationalism can bring people together by making them feel connected. In my country, we feel connected because the troops fighting in a war right now are fighting for our country. Nationalism was used to create the nation of Italy. This happened in the early 1800s when people from Italy became interested in the traditions and culture of Italy. After the French Revolution, people in Italy also thought that they also need equality and freedom. Before Italy was the Italy we see it as today, it was made of small kingdoms. Most of Italy was controlled by Austria while the remaining land was separated into nations. Italy became its own country after many battles with Austria. Just like our country wanted independence from Great Britain, Italy wanted to fight so that they could be independent from Austria.

No comments:

Post a Comment